Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Recipes for a winter day

Well, this is day three of being 'snowed in'.  Well, more like iced in, actually.  I work from home so other than work being extremely slow (I transcribe for a big hospital - did all the patients go home?) the weather hasn't affected my routine too much.  But, of all weeks, this was the week I did have a massage scheduled (for my aching neck) as well as an appointment to get my roots done (already a week late and looking really bad now - glad I'm stuck inside).  Hopefully we will thaw by tomorrow and I can go and get some things done. 

In the meantime, I thought I would share some wonderful recipes.  I made a fantastic Chicken Tortilla Soup yesterday that is oh so good in this freezing cold weather:

Two large boneless chicken breasts (sauteed in olive oil and cut up or shredded)
1 cup chopped onion, sauteed in olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 can red kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 bag frozen corn, or canned
1 cup water
To taste:
chili pepper
cilantro
salt

Simmer for several hours if possible.  Add tortilla chips, salsa, cheese and serve with cornbread.

Also, here is the prize winning recipe I mentioned the other day...Four-Layer Caramel Pumpkin cake:

1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin spice, divided
1 pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tub Cool Whip
1/4 cup caramel topping
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour two 9 in. cake pans.  Beat cake mix, 1 cup of pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs, and 1 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice in mixer on medium speed until well blended and pour evenly into pans.

Bake approx. 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool on wire racks.  Then beat cream cheese in a small bowl with mixer until creamy.  Add powdered sugar, remaining pumpkin, and remaining 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, mix well.  Stir in whipped topping.

Cut cake layers horizontally in half with a serrated knife.  Stack the layers on a serving plate, spreading the cream cheese mixture between the layers.  Do not frost the top layer.  Drizzle with caramel sauce and pecans.  Store in fridge.

If you like pumpkin (but not overwhelmingly so, which makes it so good), this cake is fabulous!

Enjoy!  Wishing everyone a blessed day!

6 comments:

  1. yum!!!!!! Lots of snow in Michigan too...this is great food for being snowed in!

    About the roots....I saw on TV you can use a little eye shadow (yes eye shadow!!) that is as close of a match as possible for a temporary "fix"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are welcome!! The problem is, I can't remember if they used the eye shadow wet or dry!!!! lol....I am thinking they used it dry!

    Let me know if you try it! Thanks again for your incredibly kind comment on my blog, it really means a lot!! (((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow is one thing ice is another. A definite inconvenience. Hope you're able to reschedule your appointments.

    Those recipes sound great. I hadn't decided what to have for dinner but that soup sounds like it will hit the spot. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you, Angie! We are melting and almost back to normal around here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That soup sounds delish! We're big mexican flavor fans here! :)

    ReplyDelete