Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Doctor, doctor, can't you see...

I just got back from a visit with my new female doctor.  I don't know exactly what I expected but for some reason I feel a little disappointed (hence a lunch that included a McDonald's apple pie - argghhh).

I suppose I feel that no one is taking me seriously.  You would think that with all the advances of medicine that there would be many doctors out there who would specialize in women like me - perimenopausally challenged.  There are a lot of us out here.  I mean, it is such a complex conglomeration of symptoms that are different in all of us - worthy of more research if you ask me. 

I was listened to intently, which I appreciated.  She explained to me that she treats symptoms rather than depending on hormonal blood work to give her answers (ok, for now).  In a way this makes sense to me because from what I read, your hormones one day may not be the same as the next, and what they treat you for based on those results may not work consistently.  She wants me to start taking a list of vitamins - vitamins! - to help control my symptoms.  If this doesn't work, then we can move on and try something else.  This is what was recommended:

500 mg Magnesium citrate 2-3 times a day to start, to give my body the boost it needs.  Evidently she feels based on my symptoms that my body is definitely lacking in this. 

Arginine - I've never heard of this but evidently it will help lower my blood pressure.  I'm all for this.  It bothers me a great deal to be on HBP meds every day.

5 HTP - This includes triptophan (like in turkey) so it should help with sleep. 

Fish oil - She said this is a base for everything else.  I used to take this but stopped for some reason. 

Progesterone cream - which I currently use.

She also recommended a protein shake in the morning, which sounds like a great idea and may help wean me off caffeine first thing in the morning.  Also, I need to find time for myself everyday - to read, meditate, whatever.  How come we always put ourselves last?

So as I write this, I am feeling better about this plan of action.  I suppose I didn't think things through clearly at first...or maybe I just wanted that apple pie.

4 comments:

  1. I'm at that time of life too. I haven't had much problems with hot flashes, although one would be nice from time to time in this cold place I live in. I have problems with weight gain, bad memory, and hair loss. I would love to have a doctor prescribe what yours did instead of automatically treating with medicine. Hope this new plan works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly I take FIsh Oil 1,000mg, Vitamin D3 4,000mg, 2 Caltrate, Multi-vitamin and 10mg of melatonin at night. I took 450mg of Wellbutrin and 3mgs of Lunesta for five years. I weened myself off because my memory was so bad it was scarying me. I was dealing with severe depression and anxiety problems. Since I have stopped taking all the prescription drugs I feel so much better. No depression for a year. Yea! As for the aniety it's still an issue, but I do feel much better off all the drugs. I am not always good about taking my vitamins, but Mark stays on me about it. I really think they will help you. Don't let yourself get down just keep trying whatever it takes to help you. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand the leaving the doctor feeling "disappointed" thing. Sounds like your female doc is a little more progressive than mine. Wish I had a list of "vitamins" to take to help me feel better. Just had a hysterectomy in Dec and feeling increasingly exhausted. Thinking about trying the 5 HTP- how is it working??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm taking everything except the 5 HTP since it would interact badly with one of my prescriptions. I still have my moments, but the vitamins seem to be helping. Also, I put my daily doses in one of those little Sun-Sat pill holders and keep in on the counter. This has really helped me stay on track! Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete