Google+ Followers

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Doctor, doctor, can't you see...

I just got back from a visit with my new female doctor.  I don't know exactly what I expected but for some reason I feel a little disappointed (hence a lunch that included a McDonald's apple pie - argghhh).

I suppose I feel that no one is taking me seriously.  You would think that with all the advances of medicine that there would be many doctors out there who would specialize in women like me - perimenopausally challenged.  There are a lot of us out here.  I mean, it is such a complex conglomeration of symptoms that are different in all of us - worthy of more research if you ask me. 

I was listened to intently, which I appreciated.  She explained to me that she treats symptoms rather than depending on hormonal blood work to give her answers (ok, for now).  In a way this makes sense to me because from what I read, your hormones one day may not be the same as the next, and what they treat you for based on those results may not work consistently.  She wants me to start taking a list of vitamins - vitamins! - to help control my symptoms.  If this doesn't work, then we can move on and try something else.  This is what was recommended:

500 mg Magnesium citrate 2-3 times a day to start, to give my body the boost it needs.  Evidently she feels based on my symptoms that my body is definitely lacking in this. 

Arginine - I've never heard of this but evidently it will help lower my blood pressure.  I'm all for this.  It bothers me a great deal to be on HBP meds every day.

5 HTP - This includes triptophan (like in turkey) so it should help with sleep. 

Fish oil - She said this is a base for everything else.  I used to take this but stopped for some reason. 

Progesterone cream - which I currently use.

She also recommended a protein shake in the morning, which sounds like a great idea and may help wean me off caffeine first thing in the morning.  Also, I need to find time for myself everyday - to read, meditate, whatever.  How come we always put ourselves last?

So as I write this, I am feeling better about this plan of action.  I suppose I didn't think things through clearly at first...or maybe I just wanted that apple pie.