Tuesday, December 28, 2010

It's Check up Time *sigh*

How can someone love their pet so much yet not want to take him to the vet? 

Unfortunately, this is me.

I remember when I was little girl, my mom would never tell me ahead of time when we were going to the doctor.  She would just put me in the car under the guise of going somewhere else and then we would end up at the doctors office.  I'd scream and holler but was promised a sucker for being good so that made everything better. 

I don't think the cat will respond as well, even to the promise of Temptation snacks.

Mason has been my baby for almost 14 years and is a well loved, well cared for indoor kitty.  He used to go to the vet regularly until he was about 8...then I took him to a new vet that was closer to my house. 

BIG MISTAKE...and I'm sure other cat owners will agree, a cat never forgets.  I honestly believe this horrible man who calls himself a pet lover (and somehow is still in business) abused my sweet boy.  What kind of vet complains that a cat scratched him?  What does he expect in his business?

Since that time, Mason has turned into a hissing, scratching, screaming devil kitty any time anyone with any authority tries to touch him.  It is traumatizing for us both. 

So, he's got an appointment next week with a cat only vet that he has seen before but had to be sedated to be examined and the sedation gave him bronchitis, so I fear this.  He has a chronically cloudy eye from a scratch that's been treated but won't completely clear up.  And now, his other eye has a spot in it.  His right ear bothers him and he coughs sometimes.  It's just time for a good checkup, and I'm scared of the experience as well as possible results.

The deep seated fear of losing my elderly kitty is raising its ugly head.  I know I may be overreacting, but it's difficult not to.

I'm a coward when it comes to experiencing anyone or anything in distress and Mason may have reacted to MY fear before, so my sweet husband is going with me.  Of the two of us, he has the better ability to control.  I'm a softy, and both of the cats know it.  I am hopeful he will do better with his daddy and possibly not react so violently.

Any advice and prayers would surely be appreciated.  Wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. Awww, I hope your kitty will be happier at the new vet. I have a dear friend who has six pets. (dogs/cats), and she's always at the vet. We on the other hand have apet free home due to allergies, but sometimes I wish we had a dog. Hope the vet is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry I read this so late. I am hoping that you have already gone to the vet and that all went well.
    Finding a good vet isn't always as easy as it sounds. I went to one when I first moved to Michigan (after going to a vet in Ohio for over 12 years) that was AWFUL with my poor Bobo....he was cold and unfriendly.
    I promptly switched to another vet and have never had a problem
    Neither of my cats were ever bad at the vet (although I know that quite a large number are)
    One word of advice is you MUST, MUST, MUST put YOUR fears aside...if you don't, cats (and dogs) are highly sensitive and can pick up on YOUR fear and nervousness about the situation which in turn can affect THEIR response to it.
    I try to make going to the vet as "fun" as it can be. If I am driving I put the carrier in the front seat and turn it so that Cody can see me (I did it with Bobo too) and I scritch his nose along the way telling him what a good boy he is!
    I play soft music in the car and sing...lol....I also bring treats.
    When he is on the exam table I try to take him out of the carrier BEFORE the doctor comes in. I softly pet him and talk to him. I talk to him in a "happy tone"
    Ok I just re-read your post and saw you are going to the vet next week. If there is any way I can help please contact me.
    A cat can live waaay past age 14 so try not to worry. My Bobo lived til age 18.

    Cat Chat http://opcatchat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Caren for your comments and advice. I will let you know how he does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly please do!!
    You are welcome to contact me at any time if you need a pep talk or anything!
    ((((hugs)))) to your baby!

    ReplyDelete