Friday, November 26, 2010

I love Kohl's, but not on Black Friday

I would be lying if I said I didn't like to shop.  I love it - it is therapy sometimes for me, but I have to be in the right mood.  And I've never been in the right mood when it comes to Black Friday.  #1 - I hate crowds.  #2 - I've never wanted something bad enough to stand in line, in the rain, with the prospect of being trampled, for.

A few years ago when my stepdaughter was getting ready to go to college, my husband braved the freezing cold that just happened to have descended upon us in order to get her a laptop computer.  Back then, it was more difficult to get a deal than it is now so it was worth it to him.  I think he left the house about 5 a.m. and returned about 7 a.m. successful, so it was worth the trouble, but he did say "never again!"

My sister though, she reminds me of the woman in the Target commercials this year.  She makes her list, stretches, and prepares herself for battle every year.  She and I are polar opposites in personality so I suppose that it explains it.  She is loud and doesn't let anyone run over her, so I can just imagine what she is like in those stores, and she has scored some great deals in the past.  I just pray every year that I won't see her face later on the evening news.

When I asked my husband what he was going to do today, he said "a little online shopping".  Sounds good to me. 

4 comments:

  1. I have a yearly appointment with a great friend to shop on Black Friday... however, our experience does not start until 1pm and it really is more about the girl time then the shopping. I actually look forward to it every year. Starting at 3am, I just don't get it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was to go out I would definitely wait until after lunch too. Unfortunately, I'm working and it is raining here - excuses to stay in! Definitely going out tomorrow. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay!! online shopping is the way to go....or....partake in "Small business Saturday" (tomorrow) where you go to the smaller non-chain stores to give back to your state/community.

    I hate Black Friday...refuse to do it...I agree with you, there is nothing that important to get trampled and wait in line for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I asked my sister how things went yesterday, she said "people are crazy"!!

    My beautiful daughter will be here soon and we are going to brave the crowds today. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete