Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Turkey Day

I'm always up early, even on a holiday, mainly because I have two needy creatures of habit who want to eat at the same time every day.  But, I would likely get up early anyway especially on Thanksgiving because as I grew up, it was just the thing to do.

I always remember my mom getting up around 4 a.m. to put the turkey in the oven.  I was always so excited and could never go back to sleep.  I loved the smell of it baking, and then the preparation of all the trimmings.  Even though no one else would eat it, my mom would always stuff the turkey for me because I wanted the stuffing instead of the dressing in a pan (um, it's the other way around now but she still thinks I want the stuffing).  And even though I would never eat it otherwise, I could down a whole bowl of homemade pimento cheese stuffed into celery.  As the bowl was being placed on the table, my sister and I would poke the tips of our fingers into the black olives and then eat them off.  They just tasted better that way.  And last but not least, all of us kids would fight over who was going to snap the wishbone.

And then, with everyone I loved around the table, we would give thanks and enjoy our meal and then a sleepy afternoon together with football blaring in the background. 

Wishing you a day filled with memories and love.  Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. your holiday memories were just beautiful!! Your post, to me...is what the holiday is ALL ABOUT!!
    Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story!
    Have a fabulous Thanksgiving making even more memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Caren! Hope your day was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete